Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

Wednesday 9 October 2013

What If ?!

She was my neighbor. Independent, fun loving and smart are perfect three adjectives i will use for her, a perfect combination of beauty and brains. She used to work as human resource manager in a reputed MNC. Her parents were well educated and rich. She had two brothers, both younger. My parents always compared me with her instead of the age difference, so basically i never liked her that much. she was fun though in social gatherings, a kind of personality everybody wanna turn into but I hardly bothered to initiate a conversation with her, it was limited to Hi-Hello.

Once i saw her in metro, she was giggling with a guy, probably her boyfriend. I could figure out relationship between the duo by their body language. They were looking adorable as a couple, while i was busy in preparing a long list of observations, i noticed her walking towards me. The guy followed the beautiful lady he owned. "hey, she waved" I responded with a smile. "Early today?" she further inquired. "Yes, i said." By the way "He is Kabir, my colleague", she ended up introducing the guy who chased her generously till me. We exchanged smiles and general conversations started. I noticed them glancing in each other's eyes. They were madly in love..i guessed and out of nowhere it was a blissful feeling to see them together.

I liked her and we started spending time together in social gathering and evening walks. She was a mentor to me, more than a friend. she shared her career stories, school affairs and everything else with me. i was more like a younger sister to her now but nothing lasts forever. One evening while i was getting ready for a walk, my mother asked me to do not meet Raavi. "Why, i immediately argued" "She doesn't carry a good character, my mother concluded in a single line." strange it was to me. They always wanted me to be like her and now suddenly they thought she is characterless. I went to see her that evening, ignoring what mom stated. 

"My dad wants me to get married to a stranger" Raavi started the conversation.
"Why don't you explain him that you like Kabir." I suggested.
"I tried everything, Pari. My parents are more concerned about the society, Kabir is a Muslim" Raavi continued.
"So, what will you do now?" i was curious.
"She smiled and said, nothing."

She got married after 2 months. Her husband was perfect. Hindu-Brahmin, Rich, handsome and educated but probably not a right choice for her. we always think that everything happens for good but sometimes its not that way.Anyways, I got engrossed in my own life after she left the society and moved to a different city. I didn't even had her updated contact details. I used to meet Kabir in the same metro every second day but I decided to don't hurt his feelings by raising Raavi's topic.

Months passed and one fine day, i saw Raavi sitting on the park bench in evening. I ran towards her, we hugged. Her face was all pale, she was weak and bruised. The charm and gloss was gone. i tried to make her comfortable. On inquiring she told that her husband have a drinking problem and he got married to her under family pressure, he love someone else and he asked divorce after a month of marriage. I couldn't believe my ears. life is just too rude to some people. She got nothing even after compromising on her own happiness for parent's sake. I got more amazed when she told that her father knows everything. Raavi's dad had a good image in society, he didn't want Raavi to come back home, he wanted her to manage. as per his typical Indian mentality, this house was not Raavi's house,anymore.

Raavi was forced to go back to her husband's house. It was 7 March,2013 when i heard that she was no more. She committed suicide exactly after five months of her marriage. As far as i knew her, she would have fought to survive, i believe. I heard her parents crying their heart out. Probably, they will never be able to forgive themselves for what they did to their darling daughter. I heard some people gossiping in her obituary that she had an affair with a Muslim guy and probably that was the reason she couldn't adjust with her husband. I left the place in disgust. She didn't commit suicide, she was killed. Our society was her killer. 

What if she would have married Kabir?

2 comments:

Anmol Rawat said...

SHIT !
Her parents don't have a right to cry ! They should have brought her back when they came to know about things. I hate such (so-called) parent who can't stand by their own children in the need of the time.

Poor Soul :'(

Unknown said...

Happens !

Post a Comment

ShareThis