Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

Sunday 22 September 2013

An Encounter with Physics

I think i am done with packing, what say papa? "What else would you like to carry except biscuits and waffers", Mom interrupted. "Nothing Mom, Chill! I will not be starving there and i will be coming home every weekend anyways." It was my own decision to get into a boarding school, after spending 10 years in the same damn day boarding. Dad didn't want me to stay away from home, mom was fine but then i was always stubborn enough to convince him anyhow. I opted for biology in 11 standard against my mom's will. I had no idea how will i manage in a new atmosphere, I knew that my new school is going to be little different but life gives you big surprises at times, much much bigger than you expect.

You sure you want to be here?, dad asked. Hmm..I will manage, i replied. I waved him a goodbye and entered into my all new classroom. All new faces, i saw. I was quite famous in my old school but here i was an alien...they were staring at me like that. "What is your good name"? someone asked from behind. "Aparajita" i responded with a smile. "What is the Newton's third law of motion, dear?" he asked ignoring the entire class which was still standing on the right in their class teacher's honor. I didn't know the answer or may be i knew but i couldn't respond. "How much marks did you obtain in class 10th?" he further questioned. "80 % sir, I replied while looking at the marble flooring." No one ever talked to me like this, how could he insult me like this in front of the entire class, that too on the very first day, I was offended. I hated him for no reason. "Unit tests are on head, be prepared, if you fail i will transfer you to the commerce stream, he warned, insulting further." I just nodded. I was never too good at science and i had almost nil idea, what was physics about and then an outstanding introduction to the entire class, hell demotivated i was.

"Don't worry, he is like this only to everyone." The girl sitting next to me on the last bench stated with a smile. I hardly cared. Only thing in my mind was clearing the upcoming unit tests. I didn't want to study commerce, i said to myself. I was afraid once again. Rest of the day went well. other teachers were quite polite and normal unlike my rude class teacher, i thought. Days passed. Everyday i struggled with physics. I hardly understood the lessons, he taught. Probably i was too afraid to even concentrate. Unit tests arrived and i did really bad. The question paper had 4 numericals and  3 theory questions. I hardly knew any of the answers. 

That morning, I didn't get up for physical training. It was the day of results. My mind was all prepared to face the insult. he entered with the answer sheets in hand. One by one he announced the name of student along with the marks obtained. My heart beat was increasing with every announcement he made. Everyone got their answer sheets except me. I was pretty sure that i failed the test. "Aparajita, he finally called." Please meet me in person after class, he further added. Now this was completely unexpected. i was expecting a great insult and a switch in my stream however it was not the end of the story, i knew.

"You are quite good at biology and english, what is the problem with physics then?" he shooted as soon as i met him in the staff room. I had no answer. "Please concentrate or else you will not be able to pass the exams, we do not spoon feed here like other schools." he handed me over my answer sheet. i got 9 out of 25. i left the staffroom in disgust. That's it, i thought. i am not taking it any further, by hook or crook i will perform better in next unit test. Time passed really fast. Another unit test arrived, i was ready with all gulped answers and fortunately i did better this time. I got 18  out of 25 but my teacher was least bothered about praising my efforts. he kept on insulting me for other reasons, he always tried to demotivate, he was always sarcastic. I accepted the fact that its his nature and that's not gonna change. Entire year, i kept hiding from him, let it be the classroom, assembly or games. My mantra of staying away from him and his harsh statements was attaining good marks in physics, anyhow. My image was quite good with other teachers so somehow I managed to pass an year over there.

My dad accompanied me on the day of final results. My class teacher was eagerly distributing respective results to students along with his expert comments. Rude he was, we all knew. Once again, my mind was ready to bear the harsh reality he used to utter. I reached his table, dad followed. "Hello Sir, he greeted my dad. Your daughter is such a fighter, Her name completely suits her personality, she is really gonna do very well in her career, a little impulsive she is, nervous at times. the only problem is, she keep waiting for an ignition to get started, the more she get insulted, the better she performs, she coped up well, she is quite good in extra curricular too, here is the report card, she obtained grade B in physics but she is brilliant in biology and literature." I couldn't believe whatever i heard. I gave my teacher a smile, probably the first time in an entire year. He stood up, patted my back and said, "Keep it up girl, I hope to see you with flying colors in next session."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis